No Picture

‘Low-cost terror’ is a new reality for Europeans

August 18, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
Reuters
Sat, 2017-08-19 03:00
ID: 
1503091904349260300

PARIS: Vehicle attacks of the sort seen in Barcelona are easy to organize and difficult to stop and have become part of a new reality for Europeans, experts say.
Paris, Berlin, Nice, London and Stockholm have already seen extremists drive vehicles into crowds. The latest attacks in Barcelona and the seaside resort of Cambrils left at least 14 dead and 100 injured on Thursday night.
The atrocities by extremists willing to die carrying out an attack are likely to lead to a rash of new security measures designed to protect pedestrians. But experts warn that citizens’ safety cannot be guaranteed 100 percent.
“It’s the principle of ‘soft targets’,” Frederic Gallois, the former head of France’s elite GIGN police force, told AFP. “Any gathering of people is a soft target and there are crowds everywhere.”
Even if security services managed to protect symbolic sites and the most popular areas around cities, nearby streets or neighborhoods would still be vulnerable, he said.
The unsophisticated low-cost attacks are in sharp contrast to the highly coordinated and planned assault on Paris in November 2015 which left 130 dead. But they are very much part of the strategy of terror groups such as Al-Qaeda and Daesh.
Both extremist groups have urged their followers to use whatever means at their disposal, including vehicles, as part of a strategy of “death by a thousand cuts” aimed at destroying the West.
“They aren’t looking for spectacular results using huge resources, but rather they want frequency to try to destabilize their adversaries,” Gallois added. “It’s the regularity which is the problem.
“At the moment, there’s an attack every four to six weeks in Europe,” he added. Then with each lull, “everyone says to themselves ‘something’s going to happen.’”
Many countries have increased the number of armed security forces patrolling Europe’s streets to deal with the threat, while police are now well-drilled in responding to incidents. Further investments in intelligence-gathering and information-sharing between EU members could also help reduce the risk of future violence, some experts believe.
In Syria and Iraq, military action by Western powers and their local allies has also shrunk the territory and resources available to Daesh, which claimed Thursday’s attack in Barcelona. Jean-Pierre Filiu, an expert on terrorism at the Sciences Po university in Paris, warned against thinking the military defeat of the organization would bring an end to the wave of assaults.
“They want to show that they are still effective despite the territorial losses. But it’s not because they are retreating in Iraq and Syria that they are striking now,” he said on France Inter radio.
The Radicalization Awareness Network, an EU research body, warned last month that 1,200-3,000 militants risked returning to Europe after fighting in Iraq and Syria — out of an estimated 5,000 who joined the terror groups there.
Nathalie Goulet, a French senator who sits on a parliamentary panel tasked with analizing militant groups, said it was important to avoid anti-Muslim rhetoric, which plays into the hands of the extremists.
One of Daesh’s stated goals is turning Western governments and citizens against Muslim minorities in their countries.
“You need to look at the reality. Telling people that banning Muslims… or closing mosques will resolve the problem is lying,” she told AFP in a recent interview.
“Someone who gets into their car and crashes into a crowd, unfortunately we need to learn to live with that and every citizen must remain vigilant,” she said.

Main category: 

The post ‘Low-cost terror’ is a new reality for Europeans appeared first on bestforexmoney.info.

The post ‘Low-cost terror’ is a new reality for Europeans appeared first on Forex news forex trade.

No Picture

Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police

August 18, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
Reuters
Sat, 2017-08-19 02:54
ID: 
1503090130119020700

BARCELONA, Spain: The driver of the van that plowed into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people, was one of five men shot dead by police in a Catalan seaside resort hours later, Spanish newspapers reported on Friday.
Josep Lluis Trapero, police chief in Spain’s northeastern region of Catalonia, had said earlier that it was possible, but not confirmed, that the driver was among those killed.
The driver abandoned the van and fled on Thursday after speeding along a pedestrianized section of Las Ramblas, the most famous boulevard in Barcelona, leaving a trail of dead and injured among the crowds of tourists and local residents thronging the street.
It was the latest of a string of attacks across Europe in the past 13 months in which militants have used vehicles as weapons — a crude but deadly tactic that is near-impossible to prevent and has now killed nearly 130 people in France, Germany, Britain, Sweden and Spain.
Suspected jihadists have been behind the previous attacks. Daesh said the perpetrators of the latest one had been responding to its call to target countries involved in a US-led coalition against the Sunni militant group.
Hours after the van rampage, police shot dead five people in the Catalan resort of Cambrils, 120 km (75 miles) down the coast from Barcelona, after they drove their car at pedestrians and police officers.
The five assailants had an axe and knives in their car and wore fake explosive belts, police said. A single police officer shot four of the men, Trapero said.
A Spanish woman was killed in the Cambrils incident, while several other civilians and a police officer were injured.
Trapero said the investigation was focusing on a house in Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona, which was razed by an explosion shortly before midnight on Wednesday.
Police believe the house was being used to plan one or several large-scale attacks in Barcelona, possibly using a large number of butane gas canisters stored there.
However, the apparently accidental explosion at the house forced the conspirators to scale down their plans and to hurriedly carry out more “rudimentary” attacks, Trapero said.

Four arrests
Police have arrested four people in connection with the attacks — three Moroccans and a citizen of Spain’s North African enclave of Melilla, Trapero said. They were aged between 21 and 34, and none had a history of terrorism-related activities.
Authorities have issued arrest warrants for four further suspects in connection with the two attacks, a judicial source said, declining to give their names.
La Vanguardia, a Barcelona-based newspaper, said the four being sought were all of Moroccan origin and aged between 17 and 24.
Catalan police said later that all five of the men killed in Cambrils had been identified. Spain’s Europa Press news agency quoted sources close to the investigation as saying that three of the four men being sought by the police were among the dead, while a fourth was still at large.
King Mohammed VI of Morocco sent his condolences to Spain, and US President Donald Trump spoke to Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy from aboard Air Force One.
Police in France are looking for the driver of a white Renault Kangoo van that may been used by people involved in the Barcelona attack, a French police source told Reuters.

Worst since 2004
It was the deadliest attack in Spain since March 2004, when Islamist militants placed bombs on commuter trains in Madrid, killing 191 people.
Of 126 people injured in Barcelona and Cambrils, 65 were still in hospital and 17 were in a critical condition. The dead and injured came from 34 countries, ranging from France and Germany to Pakistan and the Philippines.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said an American citizen was confirmed dead, and Spanish media said several children were killed.
A judicial source said investigators believed a cell of at least eight people, possibly 12, may have been involved in the Barcelona and Cambrils operations and that it had been planning to use gas canisters.
As Spain began three days of mourning, people returned to Las Ramblas, laying flowers and lighting candles in memory of the victims. Rajoy and Spain’s King Felipe visited Barcelona’s main square nearby to observe a minute’s silence.
Defiant crowds later chanted “I am not afraid” in Catalan.
Foreign leaders voiced condemnation and sympathy, including French President Emmanuel Macron, whose nation has suffered some of Europe’s deadliest recent attacks.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, speaking after media reports that some Germans were among those killed, said Islamist terrorism “can never defeat us” and vowed to press ahead with campaigning for a general election in Germany in September.
In a message to the cardinal of Barcelona, Pope Francis said the attack was “an act of blind violence that is a grave offense to the Creator.”
Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said the attack showed the European Union’s system of migrant relocation was wrong. “It is dangerous. Europe should wake up,” he said. “We are dealing here with a clash of civilizations.”

Main category: 
related_nodes: 
Fourth man arrested in Spanish manhunt as Barcelona insists ‘I am not afraid’
Spanish police shoot dead 5 men in another terror attack near Barcelona
13 killed in Barcelona terror attack claimed by Daesh; 1 suspect shot dead and 2 arrested

The post Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police appeared first on bestforexmoney.info.

The post Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police appeared first on Forex news forex trade.